can musckovies free rang

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by birdboy508, Oct 6, 2011.

1. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    just wondering if i could and i would bring them back in at night.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:mine have always free ranged, the gate is open in the morning [if] I am going to be home all day, which is most of the time and closed about an hr. before dark. They come and go as they please. I have 4 dogs that go in and out of the house so don't have to worry to much about predators during the day time. Everyone is locked up at night.

3. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    muscovy don't bear confinement well... they like to get out and forage A LOT. And they're one of those ducks that are great at "living off the land". However, safe housing at night it very important. Mine are all locked up at night and they put themselves to bed pretty much the same time the chickens go to bed. My other ducks will stay out and play until I tell them to go to bed. Once you show them where their house is, they pretty much just mosey up in there right before it gets dark. If you don't clip their wings once they learn to fly, you'll have a difficult time getting the girls to sleep inside.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yes, mine do.. they all tuck themselves in at night to lol My hens are full flight and still tuck themselves in at night. They love wandering all over the farm. We do put them in predator proof housing overnight.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yes, all of mine free range. Even those that fly around the property. [​IMG] They always come back.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It depends upon your area. If I allowed my ducks outside their secure fence, they'd be lucky to live 15 minutes.

What predator load does your area have and can you keep your ducks off your neighbor's property?

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:What kinda predators do you have in your area? [​IMG] Scary.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You are asking me?

I've got a large population of exceptionally big coyotes. They have no respect. I know of 2 dogs they have killed that were on leashes at the time with the other end of the leash being held by the owner. One of my neighbors had their Rottweiller attacked.

I've seen them many times out and about during daylight and I've seen them within 20 feet of my house during the day. Livestock and dogs at my house are kept secure.

9. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:[​IMG] OMG! that's horrible, I've never heard of coyotes doing that. We've got timberwolves around here but they are rarely seen.

10. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:That is scary, especially the part of the dog being attacked while the owner is walking him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by