1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can muscovies be fed leftover minnows from fishong?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by travisman1994, Oct 7, 2015.

1. travisman1994

travisman1994 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    I tend to have leftover minnows from perch fishing they call them emerald shiners can my muscovies be fed these? If so will it mess with the flavor of their meat when i go to butcher them. It will only be an occasional thing i dont fish everyday....

2. travisman1994

travisman1994 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Or what if i catch any sheephead can i cut those up and feed them it or bad idea?

3. jducour

jducour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    Are they freshly caught, or did you purchase the bait from a store? If they are freshly caught - go ahead and feed it to them. It won't change the flavor of their meat - or the eggs for more than a day or two after, if at all. My ducks love fish! If they are bigger than 2-3" then I would chop them up into bite size chunks. I would also remove the bones it they are that big. If they are smaller than that, give them whole in a dish of water. It's amazing to see them swallow them whole!

ETA: Don't feed bait shop fish or worms to your ducks - they may not have been raised or handled in a sanitary or chemical free way.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  4. HannahDuckLover

HannahDuckLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    I feed my ducks small fish occasionally. I've read that doing it too often will make the eggs taste fishy, but occasionally should be fine.

This is Daphne with a prize fish she caught: (actually I think it was a catfish)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by