1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can muscovies see in the dark?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by K4zn4v3, Dec 31, 2010.

1. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    I use to use a red heat bulb in my ducks night box but I recently switched to a ceramic bulb. The ceramic bulb doesnt create any light so I am worried that they will not be able to find there way into the box when they are cold. The entrance to the night box is a 2 foot long wind tunnel that is 10''x 12'' inches. Their night pen and night box sit under thick trees so there is almost no light even when there is a full moon.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have no idea and I have 8 Muscovies [​IMG]

3. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

I think they can see in the dark.

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm think they can see in the dark because most birds see well in the dark. But, my only muscovy example is mostly blind, anyway, so I can't be 100% sure about muscovies.

5. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think they can. They sure can catch mosquitos in the dark anyway.

6. jessylee

jessylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Olympia
    Very good question, I will subscribe to this topic, looking forward to hearing from someone with knowledge

7. ilovemuscovy

ilovemuscovy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Los Angeles
    yes they can
    but not very well
    your ducks should be fine

8. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    All I can say is that mine don't like the dark - I don't think ( as previous posts have said) that they see very well after nightfall - I know my Indian Runners won't come off of the mill pond at night once it gets dark, Muscovies don't seem so cautious and some of mine have been out all night and none of them have seemed concerned - but they have been safe on the river here - the only way I can get them home to their stables is to shine a bright light in the direction I want them to go - and then they are off... to safety!
    [​IMG]

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Mine have a night light in the house. Just in case they are afraid of the dark...[​IMG]

10. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Mine will occasionally be out grazing at night with the other ducks and geese that get bored with sleeping the night away. Usually summer nights when it's cool enough to do things. I would assume they can see as well as we can in the dark.

If nothing else, whenever I have to catch them at night they do a better job at dodging obstacles than I do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by