Can muscovy ducks go lesbian?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hemixrawrs, May 15, 2016.

1. hemixrawrs

hemixrawrs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    I've got two female muscovy ducks that have been together since birth and they don't have a male mate, I just noticed one of my muscovy stepping on the other while in their pond.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Waterfowl are known to 'mate' with another same sex flock member if they don't have opposite sex flock members to mate with. Ducks especially really don't care and even if they do have an opposite sex mate, sometimes they still make the attempt with a same sex flock mate anyway. I used to have just two male ducks and they tried to mate all the time until I got females. Same with my geese; I currently have no adult ganders and the females were 'mating' with each other all spring.

casportpony likes this.
  3. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

I have never heard such a sill topic! No. They cannot-As far as I've heard. If one was a male and one was a female it might be a different story. But its not.
    It might be a form of Dominance or one female saying "Hey im top round here!" I wouldn't worry [​IMG]

4. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

5. ccraft

ccraft Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2017
    I have three drakes and four hens and one hen Bubbles is always climbing on top of another hen Peas.
    Peas doesn't seem to mind. The other two hens do not let anyone climb on top.

6. DucksBySurprise

DucksBySurprise New Egg

Jun 2, 2016
    I have a very small flock of 3 Khakis and one Muscovy and they are all girls. They've actually never been exposed or around a male, and they do this crap all the time. We refer to it as "playing hop on top" and I also believe that it's purely a dominance thing. They never hurt each other but I often break them up when they start this. They only ever do this to each other in their pool. Hope this helps!

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

If not kept with the opposite sex Hens will do that..Even with a Drake they still do it...The pool causes excitement and it's always a breeding frenzy around here....
    Very normal behaviour ....

8. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    It is all about dominance and establishing/keeping the pecking order. I would leave them be unless one gets injured.

9. chickens really

Not Chickens....Ducks rarely ever fight for higher placement in a flock....Not Chickens.....

10. chickens really

Act more like Dogs in a pack with an alpha Hen who loves her flock but she runs the show...She is who everyone follows..:yesss:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by