Can my 2 week old buff orpington ladies survive in 50 degree weather

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by I <3 Chicks, Jan 23, 2011.

1. I <3 Chicks

I <3 Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Ormond Beach
    I live in Florida and have 5, 2 week old buff orpington chicks and it is 50 degrees outside but I have a very nice coop with heat light sockets installed at the top of the ceiling. I walked inside and could have swore it was 5-10 degrees warmer inside no draft without the heat lamps on. I have kept them inside in a large rabbit cage under a heat lamp in my room for a week. They are semi feathered with some baby fuzz on their head and some on their baby butts, I don't mind them being in my room i clean their cage once a day but they look pretty tough and I was wondering if I should wait a week or two until they get fully feathered or it warms up some,
    can anyone let me know?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Unless they were with their mama, they should have more feathers first.

3. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    They should be at about 85* at 2 weeks. I would wait until they are fully feathered

4. I <3 Chicks

I <3 Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Ormond Beach
    Quote:yeah, probably a good idea to keep em, inside for 2 more weeks.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If the coop is ABSOLUTELY DRAFT FREE, like you hold a piece of fluff or a candle flame at floor level in the place where you'd put the chicks and it does not blow or waver, then as long as the lamp is adjusted low enough they'll be quite fine. (But do keep a close eye on them in the beginning b/c you are likely to have to fiddle with lamp height or wattage)

I mean, I *typically* brood my chicks in my chicken bldg when it is like 40-50 F in there, with a hover-style brooder or just a hanging lamp, and they are FINE.

But if there is any draft then you could be in big trouble even with the lamp.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    In winter I keep my chicks inside until 3 weeks then they go into an outside brooder with an attached run. But they have a heat source available 60-250 watt depending on outside temps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by