Can my 2 week old chicks get a human cold?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CristinaLa, Mar 20, 2013.

1. CristinaLa

CristinaLa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    Placerville, Ca
    This is my first time having chicks, so probably a dumb question... but i was told by a friend that baby chicks can get human colds.. and ofcourse I have 2 week old chicks in my spare bathroom and now i have a cold.. ughh.. so i'm wondering if this is true.. and if so what should I do to prevent them from getting sick..I am trying to stay away.. only going in the cage when I have to.. But today one of my Buff Orp i guess got poop on her side.. and was tring to pull if off her feathers and pulled out alot of feathers.. so i cleaned her off.. cause her bare spot is big.. and I didnt want her to get infected.. but i'm scared she may get sick.. ofcourse i always wash my hands before and after touching them... .. what symptoms would they show if they do get sick...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No. Chickens do get viral respiratory diseases that humans can't get, though.

Good handwashing before and after visiting the coop is always a good idea, whether you know anyone to be sick or not.

3. CristinaLa

CristinaLa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    Placerville, Ca
    ok thank you so much.... My sister said they could get a human cold.. so i was so scared cause i have a stupid horrible cold.. LOL... I will still take extreme caution and not handle them unless I absolutely have to.. I dont want to lose any of my little ones.. Ive had them almost 2 weeks and i love these girls..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by