1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can my 3 week old babies eat earth/meal worms?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Half a dozen, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Half a dozen

Half a dozen Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2014
    I've read the 'what chickens can eat' thread and I saw worms on the list, but can baby chicks eat them? My daughter threw an earth worm in a and all 3 chicks were fighting over it. She said she read worms are ok but I just wanted to make sure it's ok for 3 week olds? Thanks

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Yes, earthworms are ok. You might want to give them some grit now. That can be accomplished with a clump of sod (not pesticide or herbicide treated!) from your yard. They'll have a blast picking through it and dust bathing in it. Most soil contains little pebbles that they can use for grit.

3. Half a dozen

May 12, 2014
    Thank you. I bought bird grit and offer it in a tub in there coop. But they do pick through the bare earth in the grass at play time as well.

4. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    My broody had her chicks digging through the garden at 4days old. She was feeding them garden worms and wire worms(like a meal worm) and they couldn't get enough of them.
    Of course they had access to the dirt of the garden as well so they had a source of grit.

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Baby chicks love worms of any sort. Just give them a little scosh of grit to help them digest it. [​IMG]

Blessings -

~ Aspen

6. Half a dozen

May 12, 2014
    Great thank you[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by