1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can my 6 weeks old go outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Apr 15, 2011.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Can I let my 6 week olds outside? It is sunny but its in the 40's.

2. IndigoJaguar

IndigoJaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    I've read to acclimate them first. They can't go from seventy to forty without some acclimation time. If you do put them out, provide a warm place for them to get in.

3. Doodle_Doo

Doodle_Doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri City, TX
    here in houston its warm enough 80 temps nights around 70 but i have put boxes from eggs i order
    in the pens with a small door cut in on side and they have done very very good i have tested with chicks 3 weeks old..always had the brooder ready incase but they do great i put a shaded area and an open direct sun light area cool water and feeders at reach distance..at night they all do well those boxes are great to hold heat i put my hand in at night with 72 degrees out and it was warm inthere perfect for them in the morning they comeout running playing jumping flapping their wings looking up at the sky [​IMG]

4. IndigoJaguar

IndigoJaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    My babies are out in forty degree weather....and WINDY....but I did make sure and lower their temps over several days. Started out inside the house...no heat lamp and a water bottle for several nights, then no heat and no light, then outside with heat but no light, and decreasing the temp every night. They have a heat lamp in the box they sleep in so when they are tired and cold from running around in their open front greenhouse, they can go in and get warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by