1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can my 7 week old take care of new baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pax12, Jul 17, 2008.

1. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    can my 7 week old take care of new baby chicks

2. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    [​IMG] I don't know as I would trust them to not hurt them, I know what my 5 week olds did to my 2 week olds when they met. I watched them exclusively for about 5 hours each day for 2 days to make sure the bullying would not be to bad. I did seperate them at night the first 2 days. There was a lot of evil stares and pecking on them the first couple days and I was right there to mediate when it got a little too intense and they did work it out real quick, but 7 weeks is big age difference and size difference. I would be very careful about mixing them as I know how hard a 7 week old can peck and if there is alot of them it might perhaps be deadly as the tiny ones do not know what to do . Perhaps can you put up a wall between them so they can see each other but not get to each other for awhile? I would try to keep them seperate for a while if it is posible. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Yes I agree with Lovemychicks...I wouldn't do it quite yet. That is a big difference...they may think the little ones are a frog and eat um! :mad: When I put my 2 day olds in with my week old ones there was very little arguing going on and the 2 day old ones tried snuggling up to the week old ones and try wiggling their little heads under their wings! So cute!

4. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I have been letting my 7-week old and 1-week olds hang out together in the backyard for about an hour a day with intense supervision for the last four days. Yesterday I was so happy to see them merge into a single group of bug-eaters. Crumb let the littler chicks hide under her, and she shared grazing space. She looked just like a little mommy. HOWEVER, Crumb has been getting to know the chicks through the brooder since they were hatched, so that might make a difference.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

OH ya that does make a big difference...thats great tho Robin! I hope mine get along! I have to introduce here in less then a week :mad:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by