Can my 7 wk old silkies spend time outdoors?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by junglegal, Dec 25, 2010.

1. junglegal

junglegal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    St. Pete, FL
    They are making a racket. They currently reside with (2) week old chicks in a 29 gal tupperware tote. It's apparent they want out. I have a playhouse coop waiting for them. Today is supposed to be sunny and in the high sixties. Would it be okay for me to put them in the run for a couple hours so they can stretch?
    Thanks

2. dan_grow

dan_grow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    i think they'll be fine i took my chicks out in the cold about that age but give them a warm place to hide from the wind.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My 4 week olds are being raised by their mama in the coop, no heat, no insulation. Since they were about 1 week old I have not seen them under Mama to get warm during the day, and I often sit out there for an hour at a time. I'm sure they warm up at some point, but they spend most of their day in my breezy coop or outdoors. This is the south, yes, but it's a cold winter, 15 one night, several mornings with heavy frost on the ground, highs usually in the 40'a or 50's.

I'm sure they will be fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2010
  4. dan_grow

dan_grow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    Quote:agreed [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:agreed [​IMG]

Ditto!

6. junglegal

Nov 27, 2010
    St. Pete, FL
    Thanks everyone, they are out in the run now. I placed a box with pin shaving on the ground. They hopped out of it and prefer to huddle in a corner in the sun. They walked down the ramp today which is a good sign.
    Each day I expect them to be a little more adventurous. I'll let them out for the next week or so for a couple hours and then hopefully have them in there full time by Jan 3rd when I go back to work.

7. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I just moved a pile of 4 week olds outside for good. [​IMG] Highs are in the 40s with lows in the 20s. They are fine. When they get cold they huddle together for warmth and when they warm up they run around and play. At night they go into a crate in the big silkie pen. That coop isn't insulated, although I did cover the windows with plastic to cut down on drafts. They have been out there all week and all 15 are doing great. No worries. Yours will be fine as well. [​IMG]

8. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    My chicks have been outside since an hour after arriving at home (three days old)... they were three weeks old when the temp was sub-freezing during the day; but they still played outside in the rain, wind and hail!

9. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    If you can't, I'm downright abusive! Haha. I have five little 4 week old silkies I got the other day and I kinda just tossed them with the flock. But my flock is SUPER laid back about newcomers so I knew the babies wouldn't be attacked... but they've been warm enough. But then again it IS summer. In Australia. Not exactly cold silkie climate here.

10. junglegal

Nov 27, 2010
    St. Pete, FL
    Well, the two 7 wk silkies had BIG dirt baths today so after consideration, the outside coop is their new home. I can't see moving them back into the brooder with the 1 week olds in my kitchen. I'm actually surprised. One of the week olds (a black sex link) is very winy & needy when the silkies are in there. Without them, she is asserting her independence and is not so vocal. She seems content hanging with the other one weeker a RIR.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by