can my bantam silkie hatch her eggs?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by iliv4chicks, Dec 3, 2013.

1. iliv4chicks

iliv4chicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2013
    hi everyone! i'm new, but I have been on this website a lot, looking up things for my sweeties! anyway, my slikie bantam went broody about a week ago, I gave her 2 eggs of hers that I kept, and she had 2 under already. they are doing great, and I think they are at day 6. i'm just worried though that at day 8 they will die. because the last time I tried to hatch her eggs they both died at day 8. [​IMG] and i'm just wondering why. and also am scared for the little eggs she has now. what could have caused them to die? I don't think it was a bacterial infection because they didn't have blood rings. their dad was a silver laced polish (Fonzie). these eggs that are incubating now, are pretzel's kids (luv u pretzel!) he is the son of Rose marie (RIR) and Fonzie (SLP). i know aracauanas have a lethal gene, but would these breeds have one?

2. Shalom Farm

Shalom Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    Florida
    Hello, Welcome to BYC!

Sorry to hear about the loss of past hatches. Honestly, a number of things can go wrong that just aren't within our control. Sometimes the eggs are infertile, some embryos just die due to genetic mutations, some get jousted by the hen or other hens, some get too hot or cold, others can have issues with yolk quality or even the cord can detach.

I would recommend putting at least 6-7 eggs under her. We've noticed that even the best hatches have 1-2 dead in shell chicks. Silkies are excellent mothers though, so don't worry! Give her more eggs if you've got some in the same incubation stage. I don't believe any of those breeds carry a lethal gene relating to the aracuana's lethal gene.

1 person likes this.
  3. iliv4chicks

Nov 29, 2013
    Thanx! She is a GREAT mom! I was only able to save 2 of her eggs before she went broody again, and then she saved 2 also. But one of them died because it got too cold. I would have put more under her, but she went broody before i could save anymore. She is very gentle with her eggs,so i dont think thats the cause, and i know that they were fertile, so it might have been her yolks. But when i use her eggs, they are always very deep orange,so i know they're rich. Well, they are at day 8 today, so we'll see if they make it! Thanx again for the info!

4. iliv4chicks

Nov 29, 2013
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Here r sum pics of her.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  6. iliv4chicks

Nov 29, 2013
    thanks, but i don't need help or info on that. i just was wondering what could've caused the other eggs of hers to die at day8. but i got some answers. thanks for trying to help!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    hope you have a good hatch [​IMG]

8. iliv4chicks

Nov 29, 2013
    thanks! i'll update everybody in about a week. I just candled last night and they look great! saw one moving![​IMG]

9. iliv4chicks

Nov 29, 2013
    do you have any idea on how to change my avatar? I submitted the pic, but it didn't replace my avavtar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by