Can my bird be saved, compound fracture?

mongoose

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 20, 2012
I think her wing got caught on something this last Monday. I went out today and wrapped a coban around it, but her "elbow" is actually protruding. :( there may be a break lower in her wing as well.
Is there a feasable way to save my bird, or do we need to put her down? I am open to spending SOME money because our small flock was purchased as family pets (abd eggs). Fwiw, she is eating and drinking and keeping with the flock, but hanging back. She used to be top bird.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Could be a break, could be a dislocation, or it could be both ... short of fixin' the wing, I'm not sure what else you can do on your own. But, if you've got it stabilized, and she ain't hurtin' then I see no reason why she couldn't continue to live her life w/ the rest of the flock.

Important note, in regard to bandaging: Beyond keepin' her clean/dry when she's wrapped up, keep in mind that chickens have no diaphram, and their lungs are fixed ... it's the movement of their ribs that exchanges air, and if she's wrapped too tightly? She'll not be able to breathe. <-- period.

You also might be able to actually splint/tape the wing, if you can figure out where the puzzle pieces belong ... hope it works out well ~'-)

:: edit :: forgot to mention, there's links at the bottom of this post, including the merck veterinary manual, which may provide additional information (including anatomy details).

There's also the solutions used for poultry, which includes how to give this bird aspirin. Please, do that :: /edit ::

Last edited:
Thank you so much for a reply! I wrapped just her wing, not around her body. I hope that's okay. I'm worried about infection and that bone dying. She's my son's chicken and we don't have other pets, so I think the next step is figuring out if she needs an amputation. I know, $4, bird.

I am going to review your links right now. :)

Thank you so much for a reply! I wrapped just her wing, not around her body. I hope that's okay. I'm worried about infection and that bone dying. She's my son's chicken and we don't have other pets, so I think the next step is figuring out if she needs an amputation. I know, $4, bird.

I am going to review your links right now. :)

There's lots more good info in them, than me; that's for sure.

As for the wrap? You're gonna wanna go around her body, rather than just the wing.
And, she needs isolated for safety (preferably where she can see, or at least, the others).

If you feel that the bone isn't touching, I'd consider seeking better advice than I can offer. I've set my own bones, and those of animals before, but when my own weren't touching when I finished, they've given me troubles ever since (a rib or two, and one pinky toe). Oddly enough? My dog got hours of surgery, just to make sure it heals more smoothly ... yeah ... $4 or not? I get your point.

Antibiotics oughta be easy enough to come by, and she can do just fine w/ a crooked wing (she'll just fly in circles, or short arcs followed by really funny crash landings ~'-)

But, playin' chicken's advocate? We've gotta be sure 'n weight what our hearts want against what'd best serve the interests of our patient.

Here's an update to this situation:
Mrs. Dash is alive and well. Really well.

We ended up shelling out the $$ for the vet. They Xrayed, cleaned and wrapped the wing. They also had to lightly sedate her to get this done. Crazy chicken. We also did two weeks of abx and anti inflammatory. Now, she almost holds it up normally, but can't fly up to roost in trees, etc.

It was a dislocation that worked its way through the skin. Looking back, she had trouble folding that wing sometimes since she was a day old, so something was wrong with it back then. She is now super friendly after all the handling, and is laying. When she squats you can see that bone sticking out. Amazing they can heal like that and be okay!

Here's an update to this situation:
Mrs. Dash is alive and well. Really well.

We ended up shelling out the $$ for the vet. They Xrayed, cleaned and wrapped the wing. They also had to lightly sedate her to get this done. Crazy chicken. We also did two weeks of abx and anti inflammatory. Now, she almost holds it up normally, but can't fly up to roost in trees, etc.

It was a dislocation that worked its way through the skin. Looking back, she had trouble folding that wing sometimes since she was a day old, so something was wrong with it back then. She is now super friendly after all the handling, and is laying. When she squats you can see that bone sticking out. Amazing they can heal like that and be okay!

One of the things folks forget is that features req'd in the wild aren't necessarily all that important in the domesticated (i.e. cataracts w/in a dog's eyes ain't gonna cause 'em to starve, 'cause they ain't gotta spot a bird that can't fly prior to eating dinner from their own bowl ~'-)

Difficulty escaping, or injuries which may result from workin' her way up too high, are about the only real concerns I'd have in Mrs. Dash's case. And, should she ever bang herself up? Remember 5 x 5 grain aspirin / gallon as a ratio for free choice, which can be offered to entire flocks during illness as well (or, 25 mg/lb / day, individually).

Call a vet. They are indispensable and will probably be able to splint the fracture so she will be normal again. My husband was a vet and we splinted a robin once and freed the bird as normal again.

Back
Top Bottom