can my broody infect chicks??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by erin0415, Nov 18, 2008.

1. erin0415

erin0415 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    I have a broody hen sitting on 7 eggs (not her own). I treated my whole flock about 2 weeks ago for respiratory illness (some died) with Tylan. This particular hen never show any symptoms but was treated with the rest. Now they all look better. I would like to put her in a separate area when the chicks hatch for her to brood them. Is this a bad idea??

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

All the stuff your broody has will help the chicks gain immunities and probably be stronger in the long run for it. A private brooding place is usually a good idea for the safety of the chicks.

3. erin0415

erin0415 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    that would be good. I would much rather they stay with her. I was thinking about giving her whats in my bator too, but i don't know how many they can brood. I guess it depends on how many hatch.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I had a small OEGB hen this summer that had 18 chicks, most of them from the bator. As long as she is able to cover them and they are in a secure, warm area, she should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by