Can my BYC Friends help me PLEASE?!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by moorechicks, May 25, 2010.

1. moorechicks

moorechicks Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    Carthage,Tx
    I am on day 20 on my first hatch and I am about to pull my hair out [​IMG] I really don't know how much more waiting I can do [​IMG]. I keep Starring at the eggs watching them rock back and forth and just wanna reach in there and give them a gentle crack and get the party started [​IMG] I need to be entertained...any ideas before I loose my mind [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. harewizard

harewizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Maryland
    Do like a human does, when birth is imminent...Get your nest ready! [​IMG]

Go clean the house and then go tho the grocery store!
    That way when they are pipped and you have lil' fluffy butts, you can sit and stare for weeks! [​IMG] [​IMG]

HTH,
    Lisa

3. amygirl

amygirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2010
    amygirl is in complete agreement, it happens when your NOT looking most often

4. moorechicks

May 5, 2010
    Carthage,Tx
    I have had their lil place ready for weeks [​IMG] But will clean my closet out or something. Good Idea [​IMG] But the only problem is if I get to thinking about it I think I need to go stare [​IMG] I am at work at the moment so hoping by the time I get home they have pip or something [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. SonRise Silkies

SonRise Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Some advice from an OLD chickenwoman. Leave those eggs alone!!!!! Make sure the temp is right and the humidity and then let them be.
    DO NOT help them, don't get excited if they pip the shell and then take a whole nother day to hatch, it's normal.
    Don't help them out of the shell, if you get to thinking you are helping YOU ARE NOT!
    They will start "talking" and might take hours of this hatching business, but they will be OK, be patient.
    It makes the stronger....if you interfere you will make them weaker.
    How many are you hatching?
    Good Luck!
    Cheryl

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I agree with the others--find something else to do. I try to find things that take me well away from the eggs for hours at a time. It's so exciting to return with the thought that maybe there will be something to see when I get back... of course, it's heartbreaking when there's not! Makes me want to bite my fingernails to the quick for vexation!

It really does seem like FOREVER when you're watching. I recently hatched a batch of quail--they are 18 days in incubation, and they go from rocking to hatching in less than 24 hours. Their zipping takes about ten minutes. Then I hatched a batch of ducks, which is what I'm used to, but after the quail, I thought I would DIE of impatience. It takes them pretty much 48 hours from pip to hatch, but because I had gotten used to how quickly the quail hatched, I kept thinking they needed help because they were taking so drattedly LONG. Aagghhh! I finally had to gather up my kids and go to the park for several hours to keep from pulling all the eggs out and breaking them open myself!

So... I'm with you. It's SOOOO hard the waiting. Go find something to do!

7. moorechicks

May 5, 2010
    Carthage,Tx
    I knew my BYC peeps would understand because my co workers dont [​IMG] They think I have flown the coop [​IMG] . I feel like I wanna take off work or bring them with me up here to hatch ( I know not to move them or take them out or open) But I Think once the first pip comes I would do better. I am not sure if I will see the pip or not or if it will be on the bottom side of the egg. I want them to see their mom when they come out [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have 10 in there... 7 are RIR and 3 are mystery eggs which could be buff cochins,gold lace cohins,Blue silkie, black silkie, or a blue and cream polish silkie mix.... so we are excited to see what they will be..we had just bought these and they were laying when we got them and were all mixed together so there is no telling [​IMG] and that is the other part of me not being able to stand the wait cause I am not sure what I am waiting for [​IMG]

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh, I always think, "if only that one will pip" or "once they start zipping!" or "if I could just see some progress!" and then I'll feel better... But there is always something new to worry over, and I can't sleep until they are all out and dry and walking around (because once they are out, there is a whole new set of worries--what if that one doesn't learn to walk properly? And is that one a runt, or is it just a smaller because it's a few hours younger? Is that a wry tail, or is it just the way the baby is resting? They aren't making any noise--are they dead? They're all being very loud--are they cold? And so on) and eating and drinking.

Just fair warning. [​IMG]

Try to keep some of your hair on your head, and don't bite your nails too short--no fun to have raw fingers. It'll all be done in a couple days and you'll have BABIES! [​IMG]

9. moorechicks

May 5, 2010
    Carthage,Tx
    Quote:O, Thanks alot [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Why cant they just come when we want them to ? I know I want get any sleep tonight because I antsie [​IMG] O I hope they want be mean and make me wait no longer then tomm to start their pips and zips [​IMG] [​IMG]

When I get off work I will be in my closet decluttering but of course after I check on them lil fellows [​IMG]

10. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Great idea to de-clutter your closet!!! I am having to take up baking and knitting while I wait for my little ones. It can be OOOOhhh so hard. And like you, I have mixed chicks and can't wait to see what they look like and if I got hens or roos or what. [​IMG] LOL, who knew such little things could be so thrilling and time consuming???? But when it is over you will have a beautiful clean closet And fluffy little chicks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by