Can my chickens eat licorice plant from my yard

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by caityfam1, Jun 28, 2016.

1. caityfam1

caityfam1 New Egg

Sep 5, 2015
    My son has been feeding our hens bits of wild licorice plant from our yard and the chickens love it. I told him to hold off from feeding them it, until I find out if it's safe or not. I cannot find anywhere online discussing licorice plant and if it's safe for chickens. I've only read one ridiculously long list of supposedly toxic items for chickens that mentioned "licorice root" which isn't the same as these plants in my yard. I have a hard time trusting that list anyway because it claimed things like spinach, celery, and mango, etc were toxic to them (which they aren't). Please help ease my worries! Thank you!

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and [​IMG]! I don't have any personal experience with this, and the only mention of it I could find was in this article that says that it contains something that is also found in clover called coumarin that could possibly be harmful if there are also fungi or other stuff growing on the plant. But no one really worries about their chickens eating clover, so I'm gonna say that licorice should be fine also since it probably won't be a large part of their diet. If you do happen to notice them having diarrhea or being lethargic or anything, you might want to try removing them from the licorice, but that is unlikely. So, long and the short of it is: it's fine! Congrats on your new chickens and thanks for joining us here on BYC! Good luck!

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some good advice already, so I'll just say hi.

Best wishes
    Ct

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by