Can my chickens eat this as a treat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jonny Anvil, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey Everyone,

I am still fairly new to raising chickens... I have done a fair bit of reading here on BYC, but just want to get some opinions...
    I am free ranging my chickens right now, I have a few that are 10 weeks and a few that are 17 weeks old.

When it comes to treats I have yet to really spoil anyone... and want to give them some treats....
    I have a huge bag of dried corn I picked up at the feed store, but it's not cracked it is whole kernel, Is this ok to feed to them whole or should I be cracking it?... So far I have been putting it into the Blender and busting it up a bit. They have access to grit so I think this will be ok for them.

My Red Sussex I just got two days ago were raised on fresh Cow's milk and were given some every morning.... I don't know if I can continue that.... lol as I have no cow. I will try some plain sugar free yogurt with some feed and see if they like that.

Also.......Is it ok to feed my Chickens the following "Mixed Goodies" as I have combined the following in Ziploc baggies and before I give them their treat, I want to make sure I will not be harming them.

Flax Seeds
    Sunflower seeds
    Quaker Oats (large flake)
    Multi-grain Cherrios
    Cornflakes
    White Rice

I also plan on giving them some blue berries tomorrow that I have in my fridge that are not gone bad, but the Wifey and I won't eat now...lol

I thank everyone in advance for any and all advice and imput.. I have many great ideas from the "Treat thread" water melon is on the menu.

Cheers!

Jonny "A"

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Pretty much, if you eat it, they will eat it. Some will say the white rice should be brown rice, but that's true with people too and a lot don't (it just doesn't taste the same...lol [​IMG]). My GUESS with the corn is if they CAN eat it whole, it won't hurt them. Heck, one of my girls grabbed a whole grape and worked it down...scared me to death!! Of course a grape is soft at least. Just keep in mind that treats should make up just a small percentage of their daily food intake...[​IMG]

3. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    I think 10 weeks old might be a little young. I don't know if they can break the corn down yet.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'd think the young ones are old enough for whole corn, but I don't give that to mine so that is a guess. The older ones for sure are. I've seen a grown chicken eat a mouse so I'd think the 10 week olds could handle corn. Cracking the corn won't hurt but I don't think you really need to.

I'd certainly agree with Teach1rusl and keep the treats to a fairly small amount of their diet. With yours free ranging, they are getting a nice varied diet anyway, so I suggest using the treats to teach them to come to you when called. That can come in handy.

If yours are free ranging they are getting grit so that is not a worry.

The only things I'd be worried about in your mix at all are the cheerios, corn flakes, and maybe the oats. Chickens cannot handle a lot of salt. I don't know how much salt those have in them or how much of their diet those items will be. Small amounts won't hurt them. I just don't know where the cut-off is for safety.

Good luck!

5. Jonny Anvil

Excellent....

I appreciate the advice [​IMG] The idea of a treat was to welcome the new birds to the land.. I just recently bought 8 Red Sussex POL Hens a few days ago, and I had bought earlier back in June, 6 Barred Rocks, and One Columbian Rock. I was spreading oyster shells around for them as well and they were getting their own grit from scratching.
    My intention was to just spread about a 1/2 a cup or so out for them every couple of days or for them to go into the coops at night.
    I realize that moderation is the best key, like you both had mentioned they do scratch and get lots of goodies as it is.

Here is the Ration that I have used on there Treat mix

1 Cup Flax seed
    3/4 cup Sunflower seeds
    1/4 cup white rice
    1 cup oats
    2 cups cheerios
    1 cup cornflakes

I have decided to crack all my corn and use that as a extra scratch in winter. Gets Darn cold here in Alberta.

6. Jonny Anvil

Just wanted to say thank you again for the advice....

Today I might try them with some blueberries as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by