1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can my chickens eat this?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by wildriverswolf90, Sep 17, 2011.

1. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    I have some parakeet feed and I'm wondering if I can give to my chickens? They 5wks old, should I wait 'til they are older?

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    In an emergency, until you get to the feed store, yes, it won't kill them. In fact, I give my chickens all the bird food that gets thrown all over the floor. And most of it is probably millet, which I give as a treat. But I wouldn't make it their only feed.

3. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Sure, but as the above said, not all the time.

4. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    If it was me I would wait a bit to give chicks any type of seeds. They will need to have grit available if you will feed it a their soul ration.
    I have read not to give chicks treats etc until they are around 12 weeks old.

Just MHO ! Otherwise anything you can feed to your parrots, parakeets can be fed to chickens but not the other way around.

5. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Thanks I'm just wanting to give it as a treat! They are little weirdos and have been turning their noses up at; bread, eggs, yogurt, and cheese! Hope they will like this!

6. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    One of my Eclectus boys found some chicken pellets on the floor, he LOVED them!

7. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I would give it to them, just make sure that you have grit available as other posters have suggested. I personally cant even have bird feeders in my yard anymore as my chickens took them over. My geese also go bananas for birdseed. I like to buy the 20lb bags of cheepo stull at wallmart for $5 as a treat and to mix into scratch.

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Seeds are good but not a complete ration. \\
    More importantly, if giving whole seeds or grain and they aren't free ranging you need to provide grit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by