Can my chickens get giardia and coccidia from a puppy? HELP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by poultryparade, Sep 12, 2012.

1. poultryparade

poultryparade New Egg

Sep 6, 2012
    Lowell IN
    I recently adopted a 4 month old puppy from a shelter. When we took it to the vet for a well puppy check, a stool sample confirmed he has round worm, coccidia and giardia. He is on medication and we follow him around with a pooper scooper and diluted bleach water. I have free range chickens and ducks and am concerned about them getting the parasites. The vet knows nothing about poultry and couldn't help me. My local farm vet told me to look online, but I can't find anything that helps answer the question. I try to keep everything as natural as possible and would rather not treat the birds needlessly if they can't get it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. soler

soler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    for one, you can get giardia from the puppy! I believe the chickens can get giardia, but the cocci is species specific. Not completely sure.

3. poultryparade

poultryparade New Egg

Sep 6, 2012
    Lowell IN
    I knew that I could get giardia, taking every precaution when cleaning up stools, including disinfecting the area. Trying to chase a puppy on 20 acres with a pooper scooper and an ammonia bottle isn't my idea of fun! Thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by