can my chicks be moved outside yet?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cheeriotwins, Jul 8, 2008.

1. cheeriotwins

cheeriotwins Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    they'll be 5 weeks old tomorrow and are about 99.9% feathered out (only a few random downy feathers about the head on 1 or 2 of them). it's been in the mid 80's during the day and in the mid-high 60's at night where we are. they're still inside a box indoors in a room that remains in the high 70's - 80's. i've been turning off the heatlamp during the day. their coop has an indoor section which i was planning on putting bedding in for warmth. it's not really possible for us to run electricity outside. what do you think? can they go out? any tips?

2. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    CT - I'm a newbie at this, but I would think so. If you're just letting them our during the day and it's in the 80's, you should be OK, especially since they're feathered out. Keep an eye on them - They move like lightning.

3. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    I had an extension cord running out to the coop at night for mine , but if they are all feathered out they should be fine they will huddle together for warmth if there are enough of them.
    How many do you have?

4. cheeriotwins

Jun 7, 2008
    well, i was really hoping that they go out permanently. they'll have a coop with an attached run. i was planning on leaving the door between the two openened during the day but putting them inside at night (with the door closed) figuring they'd be warmer that way.

5. cheeriotwins

Jun 7, 2008
    Quote:i have six.

6. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    they should be fine they'll cuddle up if they get cold just make sure they don't get wet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by