Can my chicks go into the pen with our flock?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jacca5, Apr 24, 2008.

1. jacca5

jacca5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Hodgenville, KY
    I have three chicks that are 7-8 weeks old. They are getting to big for the box I have them in can they go out with the rest of the flock?

2. CoopD'Etat

CoopD'Etat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2008
    Are they fully fledged out? Will it be warm enough for them, especially at night? If so, try it with your supervision first and see how everyone does together. Maybe you could separate off some of your coop and put the little girls in there to see how the big girls react to them...

3. jacca5

Mar 19, 2008
    Hodgenville, KY
    Well what I am worried about is I have been told by BYC members that the three are roos. Will my big roo try to kill them? Yes I think it is warm enough it has been 80 during the day and around 58 or 60 at night. I took the light away about a week ago they stay in my utiliy room with windows open day and night.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I never put my youngsters out into the coop til they are around the same size as the adults and at point of lay. You need to make sure they can fend for themselves...They need to be fully feathered out, they can still chill in cold temps and the adults can starve out chicks by not letting them eat...my chicks are also not on the same feed as the adults, so they don't go out til 16 or 17 weeks and are ready for layer feeds......I keep them in a separate pen....

5. jacca5

Mar 19, 2008
    Hodgenville, KY
    Ok that is what I thought but my DH thought it would be a GREAT idea. I think he just wants them out of the house. So I will make him build something bigger see how he likes that......LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by