Can my chicks go outside?

whiskey69169

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2015
Northwest Florida
So I have 8 chicks about 2-3 weeks old now (I have had them 2 weeks). I noticed when I first set up the brooder they were all running away from the heat lamp (set at 95 degrees at head height) so I raised the lamp to where it was at 90 degrees. This worked out well for the first 3 days then noticed them staying away from the heat source. I have gradually raised the lamp to where the chicks are now during the day at room temperature (about 77-79 degrees and at night I turn the heat lamp on and it brings the temp to 85 degrees. They have been so active since I have done this and look to be loving life :D. My question is this, I plan on starting to not use the heat lamp at night and monitor them to see how they do. If they are good with that after a week would I be able to move them outside to the coop? Here in Florida the nightly temps have been 70-75 degrees and daytime temps 75-90 degrees. Thank you in advance for the responses.

I started letting my chicks outside for short periods of time when they were a week old. As long it doesn't get below 65 degrees, the chicks should be fine outside.
Thank you, I have let them out in the run area and the coop to they can start to get used to it some. Also I just put in 3 chicken swings and cant wait to see them use it when they are older lol.
That's about what I did with mine, but it was getting down to about 40-50 around here. They will huddle up into a big warm pile to stay warm but are otherwise fine. Your 8 chicks dealing with 70F is going to be a non-issue.
This is good to know also because I have been worried that they would get too cold and when I go to open the coop door :barnie... Another question, if it does get too cold for them how long can they stand it before its too much? They are about half way feathered and there is plenty of ventilation but no drafts able to get to them.

I plan on starting to not use the heat lamp at night and monitor them to see how they do. If they are good with that after a week would I be able to move them outside to the coop?
That is an excellent plan. You probably don't need to wait that long but going a bit slow and easy is usually a good thing. Just because they can go out earlier doesn't mean they have to.

The first time they are in total dark they may panic. It will not hurt them. Within a few minutes, say maybe 15 minutes, they should calm down and go to sleep. Don't confuse that being afraid of the dark at first with anything really being wrong.

That is an excellent plan. You probably don't need to wait that long but going a bit slow and easy is usually a good thing. Just because they can go out earlier doesn't mean they have to.

The first time they are in total dark they may panic. It will not hurt them. Within a few minutes, say maybe 15 minutes, they should calm down and go to sleep. Don't confuse that being afraid of the dark at first with anything really being wrong.
Thank you for the encouragement, and thank you for mentioning the "Afraid of the dark" part because that would totally be me lol.

Back
Top Bottom