Can my chicks have yogurt?....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by roostersandhens, Feb 2, 2013.

1. i have 10 indoor chicks being raised by moma hen they love there chick food i was just wondering if they can eat anything else. they have no rocks in there gizard and i wanted to know if they can eat yogurt. if you know please reply. also i was wondering if you know of any treats they can eat at this time. do you know if they sell chick TREATS anywhere?
    thanks,
    roostersandhens
    [​IMG]

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Plain yogurt should be just fine. I usually gave my chicks some around the one week mark. I would sprinkle it with crumbles to get them interested. :)

3. ok thanks i would like to here more apinions though befor i take the risk though but i might by just hearing your opinion thanks sooo much for posting you helped alot.
    [​IMG]

4. MaddBaggins

MaddBaggins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2013
    Tucson AZ
    Mine are 1 week old and showed no interest in the yogurt today. I just posted a video in the "Look who arrived today" thread.

5. hotrodflash

hotrodflash Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    East Texas
    I gave mine yogurt mixed with starter and water to help with a little bit of pasty butt. I gave them the mix over a three day period and no more pasty butt. Mine were two days old when I started them on the yogurt. They loved it, the only drawback is that it formed little cement shoes on their toes and I had to soak their feet to get it off. But better a little cement shoe than pasty butt and death.

6. MaddBaggins

Jan 25, 2013
    Tucson AZ
    I've been using apple cider vinegar in their water for pasty butt. So far so good.

7. hotrodflash

hotrodflash Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    East Texas
    ACV works as well. Different method, same result.[​IMG]

8. MaddBaggins

Jan 25, 2013
    Tucson AZ
    After the first day, I had 2 with pasty butt. Forum member sumi recommended the acv and I haven't had any pasty butts since. This site has been invaluable so far.

9. Shelz

Shelz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    S.E. Iowa
    I fed my little chicks Plain yogurt with their starter crumbles sprinkled all over the top, and they LOVED it. The would just gobble it right up.

10. katsdar

katsdar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 21, 2012
    Armuchee, Georgia
    The feed store I go to sells baby blocks for chicks it is a treat block made just for them and it is recommended that you add chick grit to their diet at 2 weeks of age. Oh and the only thing that I have ever been told not to feed chickens is citrus, mine love watermelon and they get all kinds salad makings, I don't feed them onions as it can change the taste of the egg so I have been told. but they eat oatmeal, mine will eat it uncooked, grits cooked, and they do like their yogurt too.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by