Can my Cochin get wet in extreme heat?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by scoopsmom, May 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. scoopsmom

scoopsmom Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2017
    Texas
    I have 3 bantam Cochins and I live in Texas where it gets over 90 degrees in the summer. I've read they are not supposed to get wet but I also read that chickens like to play in water. Besides the Cochins I have 2 gold sexlinks and 1 unidentified hen but she's regular size (not bantam). So my mom had planned to give all of them a little tub with water so they could play and keep cool, then I found out on here that we have Cochins (we were told they were silkies as chicks) and they can't get wet.
    So my question: can my Cochins play in the tub of water like the other 3 hens as long as it's really hot outside? (Over 90 degrees)

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They can get wet, but I've never seen chickens play in water, I have seen them drown in it. Wet sand, or a misting is a better idea.

3. scoopsmom

scoopsmom Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2017
    Texas
    Ok, my mom clarified, the water would only be like an inch deep...sorta like a bird bath?

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It will be interesting to see if they utilize it. I haven't had any of my chickens stand in a bowl of water, and my bantam cochins avoid puddles, can't hurt to try if it isn't deep.

scoopsmom likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by