1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can my cockatiel be around chickens?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Agent Idaho, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Agent Idaho

Agent Idaho New Egg

Dec 18, 2016
    Idaho
    I have a cockatiel and I am about to get 2 silkie chickens and i was wondering if my chickens could be harmful to my cockatiel and if I could let them be around each other

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    What do you mean by let them be around each other? Do you mean actually interacting with each other, because that is a big no as the chickens could easily kill it, or do you mean be in the same room? Again I wouldn't really, chickens carry diseases and parasites that they can pass to the cockatiel.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I brood my Chicks in the study with my Cockatiel.....Never caused an issue....He learnt to peep like a Chick though.....lol......

As long as the Cockatiel stays in his own space?......No issues....Mr. Bird is 12 years old....His best friend was a Guinea pig....Sadly she passed.....

Cheers!

4. Agent Idaho

Agent Idaho New Egg

Dec 18, 2016
    Idaho
    thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by