Can my coop be to large?

Flashy2003

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 31, 2010
Connecticut
Hi, I had a vision of a small to medium coop in my head. But I always start off small and eventually by the time I'm done go way overboard. So what Im getting at is, I originally just wanted to build a coop a couple feet of the ground with a floor area of 6x4. Then I started wanting to build a larger coop about 7' height and a floor plan of 4x8.Im only looking to keep around 10 bantams .But I live in the North East and it gets cold up here in the winters. Will the bantams be better off keeping the smaller coop warmer in the winter than a larger one? I will use a heating element when it is extreme.

Larger coop is easier to keep clean.
Easier to keep humidity down.
Roomier and nicer for chickens.
Easier to keep stable temperatures.
Gives room to expand the flock.

And by the way, 4x8 is still pretty small for 10 Bantams all winter with no run to go out to.
Double up and go for 8x8. It's easy because that is a two piece plywood sheet floor with no cutting involved.

Everybody always says you should plan for more room than you'll think you need (and it's true!) You can always partition off part if you think they need to be warmer. It's a lot harder to add more space than it is to partition a larger area...

The coop will have a covered 6x15 run. If they choose to use it when its bitter out side.

Mine do! I have about the same space for about that many bantams. They go in and out all winter, no matter how cold. I have plenty of space and no problems with them over the years.​

Last edited:
It's always nice to have a large coop just in case you'd like to add more chicks later. I wish mine was bigger. It's 6x8 and we keep 4 big boned (2 BO and 2 sussies) girls in there with their Wyandotte roo. I'd like to add two more hens in the spring but I worry they'll be crowded. Think big, go large!

I am planning to remodel my coop this spring and I'm making separate pens for different breeds. Big is good as long as it is properly ventilated and not drafty.

My coop is 20x35 and I am going to have5-6 sections total I will have anywhere from 7 hens and 1 Rooster to 12 hens and 2 Roosters per 10x10 pen. They will have access outside on most days either free ranging or in a run. I will have a large pen for my "egg layer" flock. Bigger is not always better but plan for the future. Chicken Math is a good thing but be prepared for the future! When you either buy or make a coop make it to where it is expandable for future add ons. Chickens are a blast!

-Nate

you'll always need space for stuff other than birds: feed, grit, oyster shell, more chickens, poop buckets, scratch, paper towels, water, toys, blue kote,
pine shavings, camera, muck boots, more chickens, snow shovel, fans, umbrella, summer furniture, snow blower, more chickens, fire wood for the house.......

yes, you are entirely correct, that coop is way too big, give it too me and i'll trade you my smaller one...
there is no such thing a a too big coop, never

Back
Top Bottom