1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can my ducklings eat this?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ForestAlice, Apr 24, 2016.

1. ForestAlice

ForestAlice Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    US
    We just ran our of our ducklings' typical feed and we aren't getting the next shipment until tomorrow.
    Our ducklings are ten days old and we were wondering if they could have some canned peas or a bit of chopped kale to hold them over until tomorrow, or are they still too young to eat that type of thing?

2. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    They'll need grit with it. You can also feed oats, but I don't know what kind of mix-ins you'd need for proper diet.

3. ForestAlice

ForestAlice Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    US
    I gave them a few peas because they're desperately hungry-- will they be able to pass them without grit? They're only 10 days old, so they can't have grit yet, and we don't even own any to begin with! What should we do...?

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    let them outside for a bit for them to get their own "grit" or bring in a chunk of your yard for them. They can use that to help.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Of course they can have grit. If they were raised by a momma duck, they would have had grit from their very first day out of the nest.

6. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Indeed they can have grit. It "isn't needed" when they're this young because most keepers feed a starter with which grit is unnecessary.

If their diet is made up of anything not commercial starter, they should be offered grit as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by