Can my ducks have Cocci?

Rosie42892

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 29, 2013
My ducks and chicks do not share brooders, but can be in contact. Unfortunately, it seems that one or more of my chicks has Cocci (bloody poop). I am really hoping I can treat the rest of them, but I was wondering if I should worry about my ducks? Can they be treated with Corid? What about the geese? Thank you

Rosie42892, I don't know right now. But I want to respond. Let me dig out my Storey's Guide. Be back.

Wait. Need my reading glasses.

Excerpts -

unless invited by poor sanitation, it is seldom a problem in ducks

symptoms depend on the species of coccidia, it is recommended that birds be taken to a diagnostic lab to confirm coccidiosis outbreaks

Ducks generally have greater resistance to coccidiosis than chickens. However, when ducklings are overcrowded, brooded on damp litter, or kept in filthy quarters, they can suffer serious infestations. As birds mature, they normally develop immunity to "cocci."

In general, coccidiostats manufactured for chickens and turkeys will also be effective for ducks. (One of the safest for ducks is amprolium...)

the recommended dosages for chickens and turkeys should be reduced by approximately one-third to one-half for ducks, since waterfowl consume greater quantities of feed and water and overdoses of some coccidiostats can be deadly.

Last edited:
I really like having Storey's Guide. Lost track of it for a while, and felt lost.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom