1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can My EGG STILL HaTCH?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by anjaneep, Oct 7, 2012.

1. anjaneep

anjaneep Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2012
    this morning i looked and turend my eggs i noticed one had a dent but hasent broke the sack should i be worried? can i fix it I REAL:LY NEED aDVICE PLEASe HELP i have 4 eggs 2 big brown rest of them little white only 1 cracked look:[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    oh no, it doesnt look like a pip is supposed to, did someone accidently put their finger in it? What day u on?

3. anjaneep

Oct 6, 2012
    im on day 3-4 now and no , no finger

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  4. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't tell which end that hole is on (definitely not a crack). Is it on the pointy end or the wide end of the egg??

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    ohhhh I wouldnt think its gonna be ok on day 3~4 : (

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Just started day 3-4?

7. anjaneep

Oct 6, 2012
    it is on the pointy/middle more to pointy[​IMG]has no broken sack yet

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Honestly, I'd not try to hatch that egg. Some have sealed cracks with melted wax but for a hole that large and that early on in incubation, I'd not do it.

9. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm going to go against the grain and say try it. Here's the thing. It's not going to hurt anything to try, and if you don't try you're going to be bugging yourself about the accidental hole-mistake for ages. Since it's on the pointy end of the egg, and not the wide end (where the air sac is and where chicks usually pip at) I would take some wax paper or parchment paper and cut a circle that is slightly larger than the hole. Put it over the hole. Then...put birthday candle wax over the wax paper/parchment paper to seal it onto the egg shell (you don't want candle wax going into the egg at all...then you're definitely out of luck!!). Make sure the wax goes all around the edges of the paper, and across the top of it as well. I would hold it gently between your thumb and forefinger (pointer finger) in the same position you held it in while you were applying the above....until it's completely dry.

For the record, I don't think that egg has a chance in hades of hatching....but this isn't hades and miracles happen here. If it were me I would try anyway. I'd keep a very close eye on it though and smell it every 2 days to make sure it's not giving off the stink/rotten stench...if it is you need to throw it away so it doesn't damage the other chicks that are trying to incubate and hatch healthy.

...no idea how a hole that size didn't damage the membranes inside...with a space that deep. Since it didn't...and if you're *sure* it didn't...I'd throw it in the bator after doing the above and give it a shot. Try not to be upset if it doesn't work and it quits or goes rotten, because at least you can say you did your part in giving it a chance.

10. anjaneep

Oct 6, 2012
    your right have you done this before ill do it do u think nail glue would work for the existing crack i got some 3 seconde quick dry stuff should i use it on the existing cracks? have you hached eggs before

Quote:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by