1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can my flock/chicks get diseases if I buy other peoples fertile eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by connor97, Dec 2, 2012.

1. connor97

connor97 Chillin' With My Peeps

My friend has some cochin fertile eggs that she wanted to give me, but I haven't known her very long and I don't know what condition her flock is in or if she has had diseases in the past. So I was wondering, if I add her unhatched fertile eggs into my incubator, can my chickens catch something? Or can they only get diseases from other chickens that are already grown ?
    Thanks !

2. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

Interesting question. Pullorum and Fowl Typhoid are two diseases that can be transmitted from the mother, to the egg she lays, and then to the hatched chick. There may be others that work this way, but I am not as familiar with them.

The good news is that Pullorum and Fowl Typhoid are very, very rare in the US. For example, Wisconsin hasn't had a positive Pullorum test in over two decades. So, it is, for all practical purposes, not present in the US.

If your friend has a tested flock (NPIP is one such program), then she has had all of the hens tested that you would likely get your eggs from. So they would not be carriers of Pullorum, Fowl Typhoid, Avian Mycoplasmas, Salmonella enterica, or Avian Influenza.

So, it is unlikely that your friend's hatching eggs will be carriers of a disease that could infect your flock after hatching. Very unlikely if she has an NPIP tested flock.

But frankly, I'd go pick up the eggs in person if you could. Check out her operation for yourself [​IMG]

PS. These types of disease are reportable, meaning that they need to be reported to the proper agency when found.

1 person likes this.
  3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Great info and advice

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    NPIP does not test for mycoplasms or salmonella unless you specifically ask and pay extra. Both can go through the egg. But your chances of getting them are much lower than if you got chicks or pullets off the ground. Gloria Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by