Can my friend keep chickens where she lives

Amy F

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
Santa Cruz, California
I'm getting chicks and i was talking at school with some friends and one of them wants chicks too. but she's concerned about where she lives well she lives in Santa Cruz, California 95062. her place is 1,956 sq ft. single family home with 2 beds and 2 baths Does any one know if the law will let her raise hens she want 2 or 3 for her back yard she just moved there not too long ago i helped her find the place but now she needs some fethered friends

down-home Dave

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Twentynine Palms, CA
Up at the top you should see a button labeled "learning center" click on that, and then you should see a gray menu bar with "learning center", "Coops", "member pages", "my chickens", "laws", "recipes". Go ahead and click on "laws". You can further refine your search by state. But if you scroll down to the bottom of that menu on the left you will see a search function. In that search box you can do a search for Santa Cruz, and it will come right up for you. The short answer is yes, and that page will have most of the details that your friend will need.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/santa-cruz-california-chicken-ordinance

Last edited:

iwiw60

Crowing
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
Central Oregon
Aaaah, Santa Cruz...I remember it WELL!! I grew up in San Jose and back in the day my girlfriends and I would "cruise" over the hill to Santa Cruz to the boardwalk. Mind you, this was back in the late 50's early 60's....what a time we would have!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom