1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can my geese free range in a lake and come home?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by BackyardFarmer4, Nov 17, 2014.

1. BackyardFarmer4

BackyardFarmer4 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2013
    I have 2 Chinese geese and I live near a lake and want to let them free range. I was wondering if they could free range in the lake and come home. its a big lake and there's only a family of 2 Canada geese and goslings every year. any info would be great! Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    is it a public lake?

3. BackyardFarmer4

Oct 10, 2013
    yes its a public lake.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I would be hesitant to let my water fowl swim in a public lake especially if there are people out in motor boats. I'm over protective though. Do you live right on the water so they would know where to come home?

5. BackyardFarmer4

Oct 10, 2013
    Sorry i didn't respond right off I've been busy but yes there is motor boats but im not to worried about people hitting or harming my geese/ducks I know almost everyone they goes on the lake. And the coop is only like 150-200 ft from the water.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You know it's a gamble, they may decide they like the lake and not come home or they may like the lake and still come home. You just will never know till you try.

7. Carrosaur

Carrosaur Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I don't want you to allow this. ):

8. Ica94

Ica94 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    My home (its a townhome) is located right next to a lake, like 15 ft the most to get to the lake. I have one chinese goose and two pekin ducks and took them to the lake to free range since its so close to my home. Houses surround the lake so they cant go far, but they prefer the lake than coming in to the coop at night.lol but if u train urs right they should come in at night. Lure them in with treats:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by