1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can My Girls Eat Algae?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GAchickennewbie, Jan 29, 2015.

1. GAchickennewbie

GAchickennewbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2014
    Northeast GA
    I keep several fish tanks in addition to my girls, my dogs, and my cats. No animal-hater here. lol!

The tank I have a baby salvini in has a green fuzzy algae growing (can't remember the name) that doesn't need to be in there.

My girls do like to drink the fishwater when I drain the tanks for water changes and have been known to eat the occasional fish that makes it through the siphon, but can they eat the algae? Was thinking it would be some greenery for them until the grass grows and I get my fodder growing.

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    If your tank and fish are healthy and you don't have overgrowth/ dying algae then yes it ok. [​IMG]

3. GAchickennewbie

Apr 2, 2014
    Northeast GA
    Quote:Wonderful! My girls will be so happy and so will the baby salvini. lol!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They might have trouble with loooong string algae, if you have that kind too I'd keep them away from it.

5. GAchickennewbie

Apr 2, 2014
    Northeast GA
    It's not stringy at all. It's green and fuzzy :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by