Can my girls have oranges

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hbwbk, Dec 3, 2011.

1. hbwbk

hbwbk Out Of The Brooder

My girls eat every thing for snacks I was just wondering if any kiid of oranges are ok for them.
    I have Clementine's and navels . Any info would be appreciated Thnx.[​IMG]

2. cmclean

cmclean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2011
    Pasadena,TX
    I don't know about oranges, but yesterday my chickens devoured a lemon all the way to the rind!! I wonder if they even have "taste buds" like we do. How could they enjoy the sour lemons??????
    I REALLY think a chicken will eat ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
  4. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I cut the orange up to smaller bits & also mixed em with other stuff (other veggies, wild bird seed, any other treat) too. My peas eat them better than the chickens...... Go ahead and see if they like em.

5. hbwbk

hbwbk Out Of The Brooder

Well thank you every one. I'm going to try it but I think I will keep the peels out of there reach.
    I cut up veges for them I can share one of my oranges with them. Just to see what happens.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Mine won't eat citrus, but if yours will eat it, it won't harm the birds. It's probably good for them, with all that vitamin C.

7. D3invertebrates

D3invertebrates Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Brookshire, TX
    All my old birds love them but my new birds barely touch em, you just have to find out for yourself if they like them or not. I think theres something about feeding them dehydrated oranges or something thats bad for them as long as the oranges are fresh I dont think theres a problem.

8. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Mine love oranges and grapefruit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by