1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can my girls jump the fence?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dr.Doorlock, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    Until I build my run, I am letting my pullets out in the yard. The lowest spot of my cedar fence is 6' tall. They seem to be unable to get more than 2' off the ground. If they manage to get over the fence, they will be doomed to die on the busy road behind my house.

This has been good exercise for me and the chicks. By the time I catch them, I've gone aerobic.

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL, Sooner or later you may find you have an adventerous soul that will try it. To prevent this, you can clip the flight feathers on one wing.

3. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    Do you know where I can get some instruction. I would hate to clip something my girls would need to get by.

4. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
  5. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
  6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    My mother has chickens get over her 6' fence all the time. She gives them a couple of chances and the flight feather get clipped. It doesn't hurt them at all, they just look a little funny. [​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I spread some scratch around my yard and my birds are more interested in the scratch than flying over my 4' fence.

8. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    I think it depends partly on the breed. Larger chickens tend not to fly as well, but my big EE rooster cleared a 6' fence from a standing start at the base.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by