Can My Goat Be Registered?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Broke Down Ranch, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    So yesterday I did some chicken trading and landed a 2 yr old Nubian doe. Very attractive young lady with good manners and calm, gentle disposition. She is purebred but with no papers. Is there a way I can register her with the ADGA? I plan on joining (maybe) so I can get my daughter started POSSIBLY in showing goats. But this is more for my own sake of being able to say they are NOT mixes. There is a serious lack of good quality milking stock in my area - everything is mixed with a boer....

Anyway, any help or suggestions would be appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Did you check in her ears? If they are registered stock there should be a tattoo. You would probably have to have her DNA checked and then they might let you do it as a standard grade doe...not sure never really had to do it.

3. Zgoatlady

Zgoatlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Enumclaw, WA
    My Coop
    I think they can but not as Nubians I think they start as recorded grades and as she has kids they after years can be moved to American Nubians.
    Just call or email ADGA they are very nice and can help you.
    Cheri

4. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    If she is not from registered stock you can get a native on apperence and go recorded grade from there.

5. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    Yes, I agree you can get her registered NOA, then her doe kids can be registered 50%.

6. Catfishingpokey

Catfishingpokey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    hey what part of texas are you in. I know several people who raise registerd dairy goats thru out the state let me know where you live and i will give you some names of breeders.

7. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    I am about halfway between Ft Worth and Waco.

8. Catfishingpokey

Catfishingpokey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    check with laquesta dairy they have registered nubians and saanens.and they are at lake whitney which shouldnt be to far from you.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  9. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:Even if she is tattooed, if she wasn't sold to you with papers, ADGA will do nothing to get you papers. They can't. It's up to the producer to decide whether to sell with or without papers.

It's true she can be recorded as a Native on Appearance-my first goat was a NOA. It's not hard, all you need is another ADGA member to come look at her and write a letter stating that she meets the breed standard.

Her progeny (if you breed her to a PB or AM Nubian) will be 50% recorded grade Nubian.

Basically, the only way to get her papers would be to find her original breeder and go from there. If their goats aren't registered, then it can't happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by