1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Can my hen be a rooster!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chicken8442, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Chicken8442

Chicken8442 In the Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    Hello, So my chicks are now looking like real chickens being about 13 weeks old. They look like Hens... but I caught one this morning crowing like a rooster. Is this a normal behavior for a hen? or do I have a rooster....
    I have two easter eggers. I believe its the light brown one thats crowing... though I could be wrong, They both squabble with eachother... I have two roosters don't I!!
    help.

Thanks!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

awesome

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010

2. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Songster

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    Both chickens in those pics are EE roosters.

3. I agree, they're both boys. Both have very shiny wavy tails.

4. sred98

sred98 Songster

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Yep! 2 roos. [​IMG] Although hens can crow sometimes, too. [​IMG] I have a crazy RIR hen that crows occasionally. [​IMG]

Shelly

5. Chicken8442

Feb 5, 2009
    Dammit... Both chickens, First time chicken keeper, can't have roosters in my neighborhood AND I GOT TWO ROOSTERS!!!

unbelievable

so... I actually love them cause they are awesome, but I have no choice I have to get rid of them then [​IMG]
    Does anyone have any idea how I can get rid of them? I would like to find a home for them.

[​IMG]

6. sred98

sred98 Songster

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Post them on the local Craigslist in your area. Next time you go to get chicks, be sure and get the banded ones. They cost a little more, but you are supposed to have a 90% of getting a female. [​IMG]

Sorry about the roos!

Shelly

7. RECE*2C*

RECE*2C* In the Brooder

May 21, 2010
    oswego
    This is my first time having chickens to and i also only got two and ended up with both roosters too

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010

8. Chicken8442

Feb 5, 2009
    I got them from agway... they said they were sexed at 90% hens

more like 100% roo.
    im kinda ticked

thats life
    should I call agway?

9. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Songster

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    You could call them and let them know you got 2 roosters and they'd probably replace them or give you your money back, but, if it were my situation, I'd probably just rehome the roosters. That way I'd have some control over what happens to them as I get attached to my boys.

10. alaskachick

alaskachick Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I wish I lived closer to you cuz I would gladly welcome your roosters. I actually had the opposite happen to me. I am first time chicken owner and I bought 10 week pullets and what I thought was a roo and now I find out I did not get a roo. They are all girls. I really wanted a roo from the same stock. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by