1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can my hen have a stuffed animal?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by smiracle94, Jun 12, 2016.

1. smiracle94

smiracle94 New Egg

Jun 12, 2016
    Hi! I'm new here and a new chicken owner! I bought 2 chickens in April (Xena & Penelope) and Penelope disappeared on Thursday. Now Xena is all alone and I know how important it is for chickens to have companions. But I won't be able to get anymore for a few more weeks so I was wondering what I could do until then. I interact with her every day for at least an hour (I got them as pets not for the eggs) and my dog spends time with her as well. But I was wondering if maybe I could put a stuffed animal with her at night to make her comfortable like you can with other animals. Thank you!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am so sorry you lost a bird! [​IMG] It is never easy on you or the one left by themselves. There are a few things you can do to help her cope with being alone. During the day it helps to keep a radio on, tuned into some quiet music. Birds respond to soft music and it does quiet their anxieties. Also, keep a ticking clock in the coop. The ticking all night long will keep her blood pressure even. I have had great luck with the clock in the coop. My birds are so used to it that if I have separated a bird into a hospital cage all by themselves, I put the clock in the hospital cage with them and have honestly seen them snuggle right up to it. Also...get some old towels and fold them up so that they lay over the roost bar, or attach them if you can. But at roosting time, if she sleeps up agains a wall or anything, snuggle these towels right up against her so she feels like another bird might be next to her. And yes, even a stuffed animal will work too. Make sure she is not afraid of it however, so you may need to leave it in the coop for a while til she gets used to it. This is why I suggested the towels.

Anyway, these are the things I would do and have done for birds that are alone and have good success with keeping them quiet during the day and night. Giving her as much attention as possible on your part, and she should be good for quite some time by herself if you can't get her a buddy soon.

Good luck with her and we do welcome you to our flock! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. goofychickens

goofychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Honestly, you can do whatever you want. Although, it seems you and your puppy are giving it enough love, and it might be frightened of it. My suggestion is to put a mirror in its coop, because I have found this helpful with erm, chicken loneliness.
    -GoofyPoofy

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens.

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your hen.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. smiracle94

smiracle94 New Egg

Jun 12, 2016
    Thank you everyone! You're all so nice, and gave some great advice! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by