Sierra Hughes

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2017
Seems like a crazy question! I have two silkie hens (at laying age) that I just purchased. Planning to add them to my flock after keeping them indoors for a couple weeks or so. They are in a huge dog crate (Great Dane size/ the biggest dog crate they make) I have a container in it with pine shavings.. thinking they'd lay if needed. My question is.... will they lay if they are inside like this?

They go outside a few hours during the day too. ((But usually just munching on grass))

Thank you!

Yes, they will lay but it may take them a week or so to get used to their new surroundings and feel comfortable enough to do so. They'll make a little nest in the shavings and lay their eggs just fine if they are old enough.

Yes, they will lay but it may take them a week or so to get used to their new surroundings and feel comfortable enough to do so. They'll make a little nest in the shavings and lay their eggs just fine if they are old enough.
That is great to hear!!! Thank you for your help!

Seems like a crazy question! I have two silkie hens (at laying age) that I just purchased. Planning to add them to my flock after keeping them indoors for a couple weeks or so. They are in a huge dog crate (Great Dane size/ the biggest dog crate they make) I have a container in it with pine shavings.. thinking they'd lay if needed. My question is.... will they lay if they are inside like this?

They go outside a few hours during the day too. ((But usually just munching on grass))

Thank you!

Hens mostly lay in response to the hours of daylight. Usually there is little or no daylight inside of a dog crate.

Hens mostly lay in response to the hours of daylight. Usually there is little or no daylight inside of a dog crate.
I have them in a room with a sliding glass door, all lights on and curtains open. So I'm hoping that'll work. They'll only be inside for a couple weeks to make sure they are 100% well before letting them with the rest of my flock.

Back
Top Bottom