Can my hose-chicken catch my cold?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by firedancer57, Nov 29, 2010.

1. firedancer57

firedancer57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Lurking in the corner
    The three of us all have colds. Coughing, sneezing the whole nine yards. It's been fairly cold here 50-55 during the day and 35-40 at night and rainy and down right miserable for N.W. Florida.

But to my question. Our 8m/o Barred Rock "House-chick" is acting strangely. She's a bit listless, feathers fluffed out and not interested in anything. She will eat as long as it it table scraps (especially grapes) will not touch her new food. Instead of layer crumbles we changed to layer pellets ,change was gradual as not to cause gastric up-set,. Her eyes are clear and bright, no discharge from her nose, an occasional wet sneeze but I figure that is normal, her crop is not impacted and she's not egg-bound,she laid yesterday and it's not quite time today. Her stools are fairly normal, one had some mucus,but the rest seem to be normal for her. Her Air way seems to be clear no noticeable wheezing or riles, but I have noticed her breathing with her mouth open like she was to warm.

I take her outside everyday between 2-4, except since Saturday when it rained and turned cold, so she hasn't been outside since then. I have a call in to our Avian Vet, but he hasn't returned it yet.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated,
    Thank you in advance,
    Ann

2. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    What is a "Hose Chicken" Can you send a pic? [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Short answer - only if one of you has avian flu can you pass it to one another. [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:And if you did, it would be all over the news.

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:And if you did, it would be all over the news.

precisely

6. firedancer57

firedancer57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Lurking in the corner
    Sorry, typo fingers...[​IMG] Supposed to be house-chicken [​IMG]

Still waiting on our Vet to call back. He takes care of our parrots so hopefully he will be able to take care of Zee.

[​IMG]

This is an older picture of her, her beak has changed colours and is mainly white with speckles of black.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She's very pretty hope she'll be okay.

8. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I don't want to sound mean but have you thought that the fact she is unwell is due to the fact she is kept indoors for 22 hours a day instead of scratching around outside like chickens are meant to? Is there a valid reason why you keep her inside permanently? I hope she gets better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by