can my house cat stress my chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AshleyRae, Mar 10, 2014.

1. AshleyRae

AshleyRae Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2014
    My cat is VERY interested in the new chicks. We converted a kennel into a brooder, but she stares at them. She can't get to them but I don't want her to stress them out. She is always indoors, so when they move out to their coop she won't bother them then.
    Also, I want to know if they will be able to run around the same pen as our pygmy goat. It's not real big (10x10) but we live in town and they can't run loose when we aren't home. Will it be ok during the day? They can get more space in the evening when we let Doc out to run.

2. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    It's a cat's natural instinct to catch and kill small prey. Those chicks are probably terrified having a cat watch them. They KNOW they will be eaten if the cat gets to them. Put the kennel or the cat where they can't see each other.
    I would not put chicks in with a goat until they are full grown.

3. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    We have 6 strictly house cats, our chicks are in a kennel that has fiberglass window screen wrapped and secured to all the sides. The bottom tray can still be removed but cats can't slip paws inside when tray is in the kennel. The top is just the dog crate wire to let the lamp clamp on to where it is needed. The cats watch the chicks from above on a ladder. Mostly the younger cats, the ones that are older look at the crate like it is a noisy nuisance.

Would I trust the cats without the screen around the crate, NO. They most like would want to play badly with the noisy chew toys. Are the chicks stressed? After 2 weeks of being watched and cats unable to get them they pretty much ignore them now, unless one is sitting right outside cage and swatting at screen. Cats get squirted for being too near the chicks.

We raised chicks this way last year too, those hens now make a fuss if they see a cat outside of the run. We also have bobcats around in daytime and the hens make noise so we can check it out. Just because a cat is around when they are chicks doesn't mean the chickens aren't leery of them outside when older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by