1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can my parakeet play with my chicks?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by backintime, Apr 14, 2008.

1. backintime

backintime Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have a very friendly parakeet who loves to play with other birds I occasionally "bird sit." I know he'd just have a ball with a tub full of chicks and is very gentle. But I wonder if diseases are a problem? Do chicks carry things that could hurt or kill the parakeet? Is it just during the first weeks that I need to be careful (a kind of quarantine period to make sure nobody is sick, or is it a perpetual danger? Would it take direct "beak to beak" contact or could I carry it on my hands/clothes? Also, if any of you have let this kind of keet/chick contact occur, do the chicks ever turn on the keet when they get bigger?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I don't know much about parakeets other than my pair were flighty as all get out. For diseases, I doubt there will be a problem as in theory, baby chicks are pretty "clean" and should be disease free if they have not come in contact with adult birds. That's a reason many chose to never bring in new adult birds and only chicks.

As for turning on the keet... I'd worry that the chicks would start to peck the bird apart as they are very curious too and can get aggressive with the keet once they grow up and try to show it who's boss.

3. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Yes, there are diseases they could share (Chlamydosis for one). And yes, some could be transmitted on your hands/clothes. I wouldn't do it. I would be just as worried about the parakeet giving something to the chicks even though he doesn't look sick, they don't have great immunity yet being little ones.

4. backintime

backintime Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    Raindrop, thanks for your thoughtful reply. I think I'll play it safe and just enjoy my birds separately like you suggested. Better safe than sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by