1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can my piggies go outside??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by boilerjoe_96, May 11, 2008.

1. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    I have 3 pigs(the eating kind)...

Approx 35 lbs.... Gets down to 40 or so on some nights.

Will the pigs be ok outside? I do have a 8X8 hog house that opens to the east.

Should I add a heat lamp?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I would definately put them out. If it can be done safely....put a heat lamp on them in the evenings. But I think a big pile of fresh straw will be fine for them. They will burrow into the straw and huddle to keep each other warm.

3. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    you can let them outside.35lbs they are big enough tobe outside.if your worried about them being cold bed their pen with straw hay or shavings.

4. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    i have piglets but i never put one in my house

5. boilerjoe_96

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    Quote:Uhhhhh...they are in the pole barn, with the tractor, baler, brooding chicks, etc..........

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    As long as it stays above 40, you can do it. But, I would put down a thick layer of straw/hay in there. They will burrow into it at night if they're cold. I've come out many morning to think my weaner pigs were lost, just to have them jump up out of the straw like ninjas.

7. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Quote:[​IMG] so funny!!
    I just came on to try to find some info on raising baby pigs about 20-40 pounds. We are going to try to purchase two tonight from the Amish. Dh built a pen that is covered in hay and weeds. Very thick in hay from the chicken run from winter. I read that they do well from pasturing so we are going to try them in the end of the chicken run.

8. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2007
    Hayward, Wisconsin
    Our 8 piglets have been outside since mid-April, but I've got a bunch of straw in their pen for them and they were over 50 #'s then.

9. boilerjoe_96

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    Quote:[​IMG] so funny!!
    I just came on to try to find some info on raising baby pigs about 20-40 pounds. We are going to try to purchase two tonight from the Amish. Dh built a pen that is covered in hay and weeds. Very thick in hay from the chicken run from winter. I read that they do well from pasturing so we are going to try them in the end of the chicken run.

Did you get them? This is my first go round with pigs. One thing to think about(if you haven't already purchased them). A 40+ pound pig is good to eat the normal $10 a bag pig food. I got mine at about 9 lbs... First bag was $42.....That got the 3 of them to 25ish lbs... Next bag wasn't so bad... $20... I started mixing normal pig food with the starter(second bag) to 'wean' them off of it. Now they are 35 - 40 and on regular pig food.

I guess Pigs digestive system is not mature enough to just handle normal pig food, or so I have been told from a couple pig farmers. The guy I know best said they feed their thousands of piggies 5 or 6 different types of feed before they get the normal stuff.

If you ask around you might be able to find a free pig. The big packing plants own the pigs, one local farmer just raises them from 9-lbs to 60(nursery operation). When he gets a load of pigs in, the packing plant culls out the ones they do not think will thrive with in a confined environment. The farmer then has to 'dispose' of the culls.(he sends thme to be live Lion and Tiger food and a big cat rescue).

Anyway, our culls are putting on weight rapidly and are doing great. We did have 1 die, but that was because my 4 yr old daughter picked a sick one and I didn't check it out before leaving the pig farm.

Good luck with your piggies if you get them...

10. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    they will be fine,at 35 lbs they can handle just about anything,around here some of the breeders are outside with a 3 sided hut all winter,with a large round bale of straw in each pen to burrow into,tho the white pigs get really pink when its 20 below..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by