1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can my quail eat chick starter?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bryan8, Jun 27, 2009.

1. bryan8

bryan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Well I have bobwhites and pheasants that are on there own feed, and I ordered some button quail eggs. Hopefully I will get some quail

My question is can they eat the medicated chick feed for my chicks? Or the game grower that my other game birds are on?

The chick starter is

16% protein
    3% fat
    4% fiber

the game grower is

21% protein
    3% fat
    4% fiber

I dont really want to go out and buy a 50lb of game bird starter for just a few button quail

Help
    ~Bryan

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I would go with the game feed, since it has higher protein. You would still need to give them some cooked eggs or something a few times a week to up their protein.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:DITTO! GAME FEED, JUST GRIND IT UP IN YOUR BLENDER SO ITS SMALL ENOUGH FOR THEM TO EAT

4. silkieone

silkieone Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    [​IMG]
    I have button quail and I fed them the nonmedicated chick starter for awhile and they and my diamond doves really liked it and then I started them on some fich seed and they are wild about that stuff for sure and gobble it down Quail and Doves both.
    I also give all of them fresh Romaine lettuce,scrambled eggs,and some chopped ham and they love all of it and look really healthy.
    I also here that the Buttons LOVE meal worms and that the males will hold them for the hens while she eats them.
    How cute is that .,
    Anyway good luck with you babies.
    Linda
    Silkieone

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Buttons love seeds and meal worms, but these should be given as treats, not food. They would still need to have some high protein feed. I feed my buttons a 20% flock raiser....it works. I don't know about the ham though, I would think that would have too much sodium in it. Sodium and birds is not a good combination!

6. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    I use gamebird but it is 28 percent protein.

7. austin12895

austin12895 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2009
    Reedsville, WI
    I cannot find ant gamebird starter around here. What do I do? I have a big bag of non-medicated chick starter that is 18% protein. Wut can I do? I have the buttons hatching in just a few days! As you can tell i'm very nervouse!! lol

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Non-medicated chick starter is just fine, I feed all mine 20% starter, with no supplements. At the worst, you might need to give them some boiled eggs or crushed up cat food. Nothing to worry about..... [​IMG]

9. spoilt70

spoilt70 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2012
    I was told I could feed my Pharaoh quail medicated chick starter and that would be just fine for them is this true

10. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    If you have non medicated game bird starter in your area that is the the way to go. Many areas though the medicated is all all that is available. I know several that have been feeding quail medicated game bird starter for years with no ill effect. Now if you are talking about medicated chicken feed..... No, while they will live on it. But they will by no means thrive. You can do much better for your birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by