Can my Quail live with my Chicken?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Habib Ikram, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Habib Ikram

Habib Ikram Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2016
    Can my Quail live with my Chicken?

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    I would not recommend housing quail and chickens together. If you only have one of each, please get them a friend of their own kind. Back when i housed my quail in suspended cages above my chickens, i lost a couple when they got out...the chickens literally ate them. Full feeder, but they pecked and killed the poor quail. Also, quail are susceptible to disease and stuff that chickens carry and don't do as well housed in the same place, much less together. Now my quail have a large aviary and never see the chickens, i haven't lost any more. I had a high mortality rate when they were all in the same coop.

3. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    I agree, quail get slaughtered by chickens. They are too small and fragile to defend themselves.

4. geniash

geniash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2016
    Animal instincts aside - the main reason of not keeping quails and chickens together is the plethora of diseases that chickens are immune to but quails are not. Look up Marek's disease as an example.

5. wingedshade

wingedshade Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2016
    Delta junction, Alaska
    That is why I plan to keep my quails inside when I get them. I'm going to get them their own feeders and such instead of reusing chick feeders etc. and try to wash my hands after chicken care.

6. yook2000

yook2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    New Haven County
    Now my one month chicks are living with the 2 months old quails. They are getting well now. But I think I should separate them soon.

7. Habib Ikram

Habib Ikram Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2016
    thanx everyone

8. beautifulchaos

beautifulchaos Just Hatched

Nov 6, 2016
    Is disease an issue if there is only one chicken? There is a farm nearby that has 3 quail housed with a banty and they're looking to give them away. We were considering it but maybe we should rethink?

9. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    It's up to you whether you take the risk and if they all seem healthy and you aren't planning on breeding them to sell I don't see why not. I've hatched quail under my bantams but I'm in New Zealand and we don't have Coryza here which is the biggest disease risk to quail from chickens. Honestly, wild birds pose just as great a risk so make sure you have a secure run that wild birds can't access (or sit on top of and poop into)!

10. beautifulchaos

beautifulchaos Just Hatched

Nov 6, 2016
    Is there a problem with breeding them in the spring if we separate them from the chicken? Or does mixing them mean they shouldn't be bred at all?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by