1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can my salmon favorelle not roost?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ldutch123, Nov 24, 2011.

1. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    I have a 10 week salmon favorelle hen and I notice she doesn't roost at night. Most of the other chicks are roosting regularly but she doesn't. I wonder is it because she has the five toes. Also is that a breed trait having five toes? I bought a mixed pullet pack from the hatchery and I love all the girls but she is so beautiful. Is it ok if they never roost? I do provide a nice cushy straw bails to sleep on also lol

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I have a salmon faverolle, and she has five toes. She roosts just fine. Its my speckled sussex that prefers a flat sleeping surface to a roost pole. What kind of roosts do you have? How high are they? Do they have a "ladder" to walk up to the roosts? All of these things can affect how/why they roost where they roost.

3. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    Yes the roost starts low and gets taller. Also there are straw bales to jump up to the low rung. I think she would prefer to be cozy instead of standing. I mean who wants to sleep standing on a pole lol

4. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I think it just depends on the individual birds. All of my Silkies (5 toes) roost on the floor, all piled together. Most of my Marans roost on the 2x4s I use for perches, but even some of them go to bed either on the floor, or in a nest box. To me, I think the ones that sleep on the floor are the smarter ones, it's got to be warmer on the feet and buns?? [​IMG]

5. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    I totally agree if they all snuggle together on the floor they get warm. Well I will just close the nest boxes for the time being and if they roost or not doesn't matter [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She's just young yet. My birds don't start roosting very young, regardless of breed. They just huddle on the floor together. She'll roost eventually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by