Can my silkie rooster turn on me?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tilly's Nest, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Tilly's Nest

Tilly's Nest Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Cape Cod
    My silkie rooster is about 25 weeks old now. Up until now, he was the sweetest thing in the whole world. He loved to snuggle and loved to be held. Most recently though, the tries to peck at me when I need to reach into their coop! He has done this twice now and OUCH it hurts! I know that roosters can have aggressive tendencies but why all of a sudden? Do they change as they mature? Do they all of a sudden get mean? I think that he was just being territorial, but I was surprised when he went after me. He still enjoyed me picking him up today and petting him. Any ideas about the future? I have 2 little kids that he has never been aggressive towards. In fact, he likes to hold them. Can you give me your thoughts?

2. Stephens

Stephens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    Waxhaw, NC
    At 25 weeks old he may have matured enough to start protecting the ladies. My young RIR was the same gentle as can be as long as he was by himself. Then 1 day while I was checking the foot of one of the girls, WAMO I got the full blunt of his protection.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] He's maturing and challenging you for dominance in the "flock." By making a pet of him (not a bad thing) you have removed the barriers between man and bird. He is only doing what a normal rooster would do. You must be either dominant or subordinate to him. It is up to you to reinforce the fact that you are dominant. Monitor your children around him at this time. A peck or flogging to the face can do serious damage to a child. Most likely his behavior can be corrected, but it is important to nip it in the bud. Good luck in convincing him that you are the boss.

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    In a heart beat. DO NOT LET HIM CATCH YOU BENDING OVER COLLECTING EGGS. That will become his favorite target. HEHEHE And he will draw blood.

5. Tilly's Nest

Dec 2, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Any quick tips on ways to assert my dominance? He especially does not like me to go into the coop with my hands. Today, I tried to peck him back. What else should I do?

6. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Walk at him, and make him back up - flap something in his face if you have to, just make him move out of your way. And watch the way he walks - does he do a stiff-legged sideways step at you, or circle around a hen? Those are assertions of dominance. If you see him doing that to you or anybody near you, walk briskly at him until he gives way.

Don't chase or kick him. Act like a chicken John Wayne...stride around purposefully. You aren't the one who starts trouble, you're the one who stops it. Yeehaa!

(It feels kind of dumb to stomp around bullying chickens, but it's a lot better than being afraid to bend down all the time [​IMG] )

7. Tilly's Nest

Dec 2, 2010
    Cape Cod
    So rooster boot camp has begun this morning! I did not let him do any rooster sideways dancing at me and I did not let him mate with anyone. After about 3 attempts at asserting his dominance he stopped. Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate it!!! I will keep you posted as to how things go.

8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Can he turn on you? Absolutely. All roos are capable of that (and hens...I've had a few...) That said, I've owned 3 Silkie roos and all of them have turned on me. [​IMG]

This situation has to be handled right away, else it will never be solved. Aggressive roosters need guidance. In my opinion, there is no way to get rid of the behavior, just manage it a little better. Whatever you do, NEVER hit, kick, smack, etc a chicken. They see you only as an advesary and will fight back until they cannot any longer, and you're capable of doing more harm to him than he is too you, spurs and beak or no. Birds naturally try to never show weakness. That sort of violence will only result in an injured or dead animal that was only acting on instinct and hormones.

Every time my boy feels like picking a fight (only when he feels very daring), I pick him up and walk around with him, usually carrying him up in the air, tilted to his side a little bit. He may struggle, but if you are restraining him without hurting him, there's little chance he will bite or fight back when subdued. When he is not longer struggling, I place him on the ground and hold him down on his side until he is not struggling again. Be firm but gentle. Then, quickly let go. He will either fight back again, in which case repeat until he gets the message. Or, he will walk away with a little less pride. But DO NOT walk away first. Wait until he does. Roosters fight dirty, and will attack when their opponent is least expecting it. By turning away first you are giving the message that you are submitting. Let him be the one to make the first move.

Messing with his mating and domineering habits may work now, but be prepared for worse. 2 out of 3 of my Silkies were too much for me to handle (I had little patience) but the 3rd I find very essential to my flock. He will protect his girls very well (chase away the medling ducks looking to steal food that was never theirs) and always on the lookout for outsiders. He will never really accept his place below me but there are qualities about him I treasure more than his attitude. I simply warn strangers to not to get in his way if they don't want trouble.

9. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    We were told: Pick up the Rooster from the back by the wings in both hands. Cuddle him
    in an upside position. Like you would hold a baby. And this tells him...you are the boss.

10. Tilly's Nest

Dec 2, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Thank you everyone! All of your comments are appreciated and I have started to incorporate them all. I am already starting to see a change! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by