Can my silkies sleep in the shed that almost burned down today?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by iamcuriositycat, Nov 6, 2011.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah, that pretty much says it. The whole story will be forthcoming. In the meantime... I need to know if I need to make alternate arrangements for them. Here is the inside of the shed after the fire:

[​IMG]

It is structurally sound, but smells like smoke. I think it will be dry by tonight, and I'd put down straw again and so on. But it does still smell like charred wood and smoke in there. Is that going to be bad for them? They are almost 8 weeks old.

Thanks.

P.S. Edited to add: We have cleaned it out so it's now just empty (and damp).

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I would make alternate arrangements. It's just not healthy.

3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    birds have super sensitive respiratory systems...I would make alternate arrangements.

4. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Well crap. How long before they can sleep in there again? I can put them in the brood boxes they were in as babies but dang, I had gotten them into a routine and nighttime had become so simple. Now to start all over again. Crap.

I don't want anything to happen to them, though, so I'll move them where they'll be healthier. While my husband was putting out the fire, I was running frantically around the yard looking for my chickens, so scared they had been in the blaze (they weren't). No one was hurt, thank goodness. Just stuff damaged. Lots of stuff damaged. Sigh.

Anyway, back to work... thanks for the advice. It sucks, but I'd prefer to know. Thank you.

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    You may want to replace the burnt areas with new wood. I do not know if they eat burnt wood if that can not be good. Remove and replaced is my thought. Sorry your going thru this what happened? [​IMG]

6. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    I am so sorry that you had to suffer through this! [​IMG] Thankfully the things that you lost were just *things* and can be replaced. I know that it's still difficult, but I am happy that you didn't lose any animals and that no one was hurt.

7. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    if the wood is still structurally sound then you can seal it with a SHELAC based primer... Zinsser makes a great one... and that will seal all the toxins inside..

OVERVIEW:
    B-I-N is the original pigmented shellac stain-killing primer-sealer. Great for knots, water stains, fire and smoke damage. Best interior new wood primer. Dries in minutes; recoat in 45 minutes. Seals in tough stains, pet, smoke and fire odors. Great under all topcoats.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=216

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  8. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    You may want to put Kilz on the walls and flooring to see if you can cover the smell. I wouldn't put them in it before I fixed it. Smoke inhalation isn't good on any living creature.

9. C17

C17 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Blythewood
    As a Fire Fighter of 24 years, I wouldn't. Even through the fire is out there are a lot of other gases present which may harm the girls.

10. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Quote:Oh, wonderful! They are in a wire-bottomed brooder at the moment (rabbit-hutch style). I hate it because I have to catch them to put them up, plus it's on the opposite side of the yard from all the other animals and the feed, etc., so I have to go back and forth with them one at at time. Awful! But if I can eventually put them back in the shed that will make my life SO much easier.

Next moment I have, I'm going back to Lowe's for Zinsser or something similar. Thank you. And thank you to EVERYONE who put in tips, advice, and thoughts. Very helpful, thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by