Can Mycoplasma Gall. be transmitted from mother hen to babies in eggs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tofupup, Dec 21, 2013.

1. tofupup

tofupup Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    I have a hen who is sitting on a clutch of eggs, approx.15 days into incubating. It was really cold outside when I found her on her nest under a bush, so I brought her and the eggs inside in a box of shavings and put them in the extra bedroom.

This morning, I heard what I thought was my dog snoring -- but to my horror realized it was the little brooding hen making gurgly breathing. I dripped Tylan-laced water into her mouth (I also have Baytril but I think she has myco. gallisepticum), but I think I read somewhere that myco. gall. will go through the egg shells and infect the chicks in the eggs? Is there a way to treat the chicks in the eggs for this? Maybe I was imagining it, but I swear I read something, somewhere, about dipping the exposed eggs in something to treat the chicks while they're still incubating.

Or do I have to wait until they hatch? Or are they never going to hatch now because the myco. gall. is going to kill them in the shell?

Any thoughts would be super appreciated.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, mycoplasma can be transmitted through the egg, but that doesn't mean that every egg will have it. You also may want to get a sick chicken tested by NPIP or state vet/dept of agriculture to see if it really is MG or a virus. I have heard of the method of dipping eggs in something to disinfect them, but I don't think it really works, since the organism is on the inside of the egg. Here is some info about MG: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/disea...ction-mg-chronic-respiratory-disease-chickens

http://umaine.edu/livestock/poultry/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-faq/

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  3. tofupup

tofupup Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    So the course of action is to wait until the chicks hatch, and then start them on Tylan water?

These are pet birds, not for eggs or for selling to other people; they are purely pets.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If I suspepted mycoplasma, I would get one tested. I wouldn't hatch eggs from an MG positive flock ever because i don't want to treat sick chickens. You can get baby chicks or hatching eggs from someone else and hatch them, then vaccinate them for MG.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  5. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Wood shavings can cause this. I know as I spent money on a vet visit and anti-biotics for a chicken making those sounds (sounded horrid) before working that out :). The shaving I'd used were the sort they sell for rabbit hutches etc in a compressed bale.
    I'd used it before and still do in their coop but I had her in a more confined space when it caused the problems.

So....first thing I would do is replace the shavings with shredded newspaper and give 24 hrs to see if that stops it. Its a dust in the airways thing and this same chicken did start doing it again after I used a particularly dusty lot of hay.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry, I forgot that you already had eggs under the hen. Yes, I would get the Tylan powder or oxytetracycline or chlortetracycline and have it in case they get sick.

7. IAChick

IAChick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2013
    Tell me more about vaccinating? I have been trying to research this with a "mixed age" of chickens. Is it safe to introduce new stock to ones that have been tested positive with MG if you know the new ones don't have MG or are eggs from MG free stock and they have been vaccinated?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by