can new birds be successfully added to a small flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bj taylor, Mar 2, 2013.

1. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i have five birds - four girls and a rooster. i need more girls to have a better balanced flock. i have read it is almost impossible to ad to a small flock and have them accepted. i would want to add like 6 or 7 more. i wouldn't add them until they were near full size. do you think it can be done?

2. tbridegroom

tbridegroom Out Of The Brooder

ive done it many times .....ive brought chickens home from the auction and put them right in no horrible problems or anything.....if theyre injured id suggest keeping them serparate untill they are healthy and look good first ive had to do that a time or 2...cause ive found a few chickens at the auction in horrible condition so i buy them and get them back to good health

3. Summerlove

Summerlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Add them at night,it may take a few days but they will be fine. I have a small flock and I recently added new birds. Everyone is getting along fine now :)

4. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    The safest, easiest way to unite the new birds with old flock is to separate them by wire fence for a few days so they can see each other, fight little bit, but the new ones have a choice of backing off and not being bullied.
    This is foolproof always work and frustration free for the owner.

5. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    Yes but be sure you quarentine. I did not and introduced a deadly resp infection from healthy appearing birds i bought from a breeder. When you do introduce them let them see each other through fence or chicken wire for a week or two. They will get along fine:)

6. sure you can! I used to have 4, and added 5 no problem!

7. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Yes you can it!

Good advise from all above posters.

I put the new ones in a large dog crate in the main coop for a couple of days. Then I let them all out to free range together.

When they are free ranging they can easily avoid each other and make new friends. Then a roost time they all come in together. There are then only very mild scuffles at rooting time and after a few days everyone is getting on fine. I even do this with new roosters.

8. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    thanks y'all for the reassurance. i have been worried about my girls since charlie is so amorous, but couldn't figure out a solution. i will heed the advice about quarantine. it would devastate me if i brought a deadly disease to them. they free range in my big back yard & give lovely eggs - but they have passed on into the category of "pet". they're so special. now, when i take the plunge for meat chickens - i'll be careful not to get so attached.

9. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    Meat chickens are hard to get attached to! They dont have much personality if you get broilers:)

10. Landon Lane Egg

Landon Lane Egg New Egg

Mar 2, 2013
    We have plenty of chickens better to add in equal numbers try not to add one or two with 5 to 10 if you notice any pecking vasoline works great.Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by