Can new chicks go outside or need to be kept inside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eggcited2, Jul 16, 2011.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    I have my last group of chicks coming next week (July 18-22). Two buff brahma roo, two columbian wyandott, four redstar. Since it is plenty warm outside (expected upper 90's into low 100's) for the next week and 90's for the rest of the month and first of part of August; do I still need to brood the chicks in the house with heat lamp? Or since it is summer and lots of warm: can they go outside in a safe container?

It would have chicken wire or hardware cloth, part of it will be plywood and would have shad covering too. Something similar to rabbit hutch.

Most likely 6 feet long, 3 feet wide, 3 or 4 feet tall.

They are hatchery chicks, so will only be a couple days old when I get them.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  2. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    It sounds like a great plan you have in your mind. I guess I would leave them in the brooder (with or without heat lamp as long as it is about 90-95). The only reason I say that is because it is good for them to get really comfortable in their new home before they are moved to a whole new place all together (such as outside) some chicks can be prone to nervousness if put through too many changes, especially at such a young age.[​IMG]
    On the other hand, it won't kill your birds to let them outside in the nice weather. I think if you are going to sit and watch them than go for it!!!! I wouldn't leave them out too long though, and if they constantly freak out the whole time they're out there than they should be moved back inside, if they do wait a week and try it again. Hope I didn't upset you in any way!

3. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    Quote:No, you didn't upset me. I am grateful for the advice about if it is ok or not. Thanks for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by